Friday, February 8, 2008

To Write...

It was 7th grade, when I really started to write, just for fun. My biggest influence, what made me change my mind and begin a new 'period' in my life, I’d say was my friend, Livia. She moved to Brazil in mid 7th grade, but she and I loved to draw comics and invent fictional stuff since the 5th grade, when we met.

I write mostly short stories, and they change depending on what I read. Surprisingly, I like to write in English, more than I do in Spanish.

Though I do want to become a writer of some kind in my future, I’m not sure if it is right to consider myself a writer today. I’m still a Freshmen, and have a lot of time to think about what I really want to be in my future. Besides, you don’t need to be a writer to write. Biologists write, and so do Politicians, and Engineers.

I use my writing and stories as some type of excuse. When I feel sad or empty, or simply ‘out’ of the world, I sit down and write, write about what I would like my life to be. This happens when I read too. I like to get lost in my mind thinking about what I read or write, rather that what I am living. I admit that this kind of makes me a coward, since I look for ways in which I can escape from reality, rather than confront it. So that’s why I like to write about myself as I am, about my experiences.

During the 7th and 8th grade, I was convinced I did want to become a writer. But now, in my Freshmen year I’ve been obliged to explore other options, and I’ve let myself be influenced by them. Like I said before, I am influenced by what I read, and I’ve been reading stuff to do with philosophy, too. So, that is another of interests. I like to ponder over concepts, and won’t feel satisfied until I understand them well enough.

Becoming a writer, I guess it is different from the majority of careers or professions; there are no rules to writing. You can write about whatever you feel like, seriously. About your dog, about the world, about marshmallows…

Everyone can become a writer. There is no ‘special skill’ required to write or anything. It is true, we must learn Math because we are definitely going to be using Math in our future, and same thing with Science. But most people don’t realize that we live of writing. It’s not like we breathe words, or anything, but we communicate, and yes, I guess this is some sort of writing…which is a sound, rather than written. But it is guaranteed that to do Math and study Science we must read…and write. If Science is all about analyzing, then we must take notes.

I am not discriminating other careers or anything. I believe everything we learn is important, and will serve us somehow, someday, and writing and reading are definitely included. I’d say writing is also beneficial, because you can get yourself to talk and write about things you wouldn’t just think about. When you start writing, you open a door, and each time, more doors open, giving you so much stuff to write about.

It is indeed amazing what you can get out of paper, and pencil.

No comments: