Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sleepless (Punctuation piece)

The snoring. I was not dreaming, no. I woke up fast and was a little lost. My eyes were open, and still I felt as if I didn’t see. Such darkness. I hadn’t left the phone on or anything, so there wasn’t even minimum light. Soon I forgot why was it that I was up. It was after all, midnight. I wasn’t much of a party person or anything. I had school the next day, and I really wanted to rest.

She snored once again. Much louder this time. I was all tensed up suddenly. I looked in her bed’s direction, though I wasn’t sure where it was. The noise guided me. In, out. The heavy breathing being interrupted by walls of dirt in her nostrils, producing but a melody. Definitely hard to sleep again.

I close my eyes. I’m quite awake. I lay there, ready to fall asleep. I can’t. My arms are stretched parallel to my knees. I thought I must’ve looked like a dead person. So still and straight. With the palm of my hand I touch something that I’ve never touched before. It’s in the bed. A small bump. It’s round, and I get curious. I believe myself stupid, for not noticing it before. I wonder what it might be. No movement, no bug or anything. I relax. I can’t figure out any shape. I don’t know what it is. I can’t look because of the darkness. I touch like I’ve never touched before. Concentrating. Nothing.

There’s nothing I can do. I think. About things. Random topics that might come across my empty mind. I do my best to ignore the snoring. It’s playing not so quietly, like an unprofessional background music. I’m jealous. I want to be her. To sleep like that. Amazing.

Suddenly I get sweaty. I feel all warm. The blanket soon becomes an uncomfortable fortress. I remove it and breathe a bit. I feel unprotected, but I’m still warm. I ignore, I do my best. I think about homework. I did it, complete. I read what I had to. It’s so stupid. Everything that we’re assigned, it’s just torture. Because teachers are jealous that we have free time. I think about school during the day. I was good. I got all worried because I didn’t study for the test. So pathetic. I’m too filled up with myself. I don’t realize there are certainly other things to worry about. Greater things. That concern us all. The End of the World. I’m scared, I’m curious too. I think how are we going to die. There’s so much theories these days. Global Warming. Contamination. Starvation. Overflow. Floods. Gay marriages. I laugh a bit. I ignore the fact that I’m supposed to be sleeping. I laugh at the world, I laugh at me. I’m in bed. I am touching the bump, and I am so warm. And I am worried because I can’t sleep. I am ignoring the fact that I’m going to die someday. Somehow it doesn’t traumatize me. I reproach myself. I decide to take life easier. I decide to enjoy everything from now on. I really do. Because sleepless and failing tests are nothing. Compared to the real thing. Nothing.

The alarm sounds. I seat up. I’m annoyed, but I feel bad when I see the time’s correct.
Must have been what a night of sleeplessness felt like. Now I’m tired. I want to complain. But I stay quiet as I remember everything I said. I am happy.

No comments: